Tuesday 5 May 2015

Final K2B Preparations and Dalton 10k

After my successful run at Manchester Marathon, I didn't have much time to sit back and recover, after all the, what was originally, main event of the year is just around the corner. I had exactly 3 weeks until the Kewswick 2 Barrow, 40 mile "walk" (funnily enough comprising of a route from Keswick to Barrow) and 4 weeks until Brathay Marathon, leaving very little time to recover or get some more decent training in. I decided to be rather negligible to recovery, by only having 1 day of 2 little recovery runs... the day after the marathon. The legs were certainly sore, but the 2 little slow runs did help loosen them off. The next day however, by the time I got home from work, I was feeling great and the weather was phenomenal! So I decided to bite the bullet and get some training in....a K2B recce over Kirkby Moor and back. This meant another week of high mileage (for me) was to follow before the official 2 week taper starts!
Quick Selfie at Lowick with Coniston fells in the background

I have been quite sensible, in order to prevent injury by not pushing myself too much on the runs. My training log has been as follows, where the last week has been the start of the taper and then are cutting back massively in this weeks build up to the race: (I know Dalton 10Km race in my taper week wasn't the most ideal or clever thing to do, however I ran it for other reasons...see further below)

The remainder of this next week before the race on Saturday involves 2 small slow runs, one tomorrow (Wednesday) and the other on Thursday, of a maximum 6 mile. I may practise K2B race pace tomorrow, just to get the feel for it. 

The Race Plan for Saturday remains unknown. I would like to give it a good go, to say I gave it my all, however at the same time, I don't want to damage myself for a good shot at an Autumn marathon (following a structured training plan this time which is currently being drafted!). Manchester made me recognise potential in myself and I don't want to neglect that by damaging myself whilst doing my bit for charity. I am certainly more ready for it than I have ever been though. I'm running faster and stronger than I ever have done so will just have to wait and see what happens, pray for better weather than is forecast and it will all come down to how I feel on the day and how much I am pushed by the other runners. Watch this space!!


Dalton 10K

I decided last minute to put in for Dalton Charter 10k on Friday night. I was in 2 minds whether to do it because I didn't want to injure myself for K2B, but at the same time I wanted to see what my current 10k time is without a training plan which incorporates speed/track work. It was to be used as a baseline for me to improve on once K2B, Brathay and recovery is out the way, since improving my shorter end of the running spectrum (5k/10k) times, would theoretically allow me to run faster, with less effort, in the longer stuff. For example, going through the halfway stage of a marathon feeling much fresher. This is the kind of thing which joining a club/training group and running with similar or faster runners will help me with. Its a good baseline 10k too since it is on a rather hard route and achieves times on the slower end of the spectrum (so hopefully I can only get better once on the flat! haha).

At the head of the race in mile 1 (Thanks to Ian Sadler for the photo)


The run turned out to be a VERY hard run for me! I'm not used to pushing myself like that. I was completely out my comfort zone. I took the lead however right from the start and set the pace, which turned out the be too fast so slowed dramatically after the first mile and when we hit the hills. I remained at the front all the way round with the sound of footsteps 5 yards behind me all the way. That made me ensure I kept pushing the pace for sure however I was just getting closer and closer to burning myself out. Approximately quarter of a mile or so from the finish, the lad behind me shot off like a rocket and unfortunately I had nothing left to try and match him. I let him get away and ended up cruising past the finish line in 2nd place and a time of 33:49. 

Holding on in mile 5


I'm really glad I ran the race because it taught me a lot and has spurred my enthusiasm to start incorporating speed work into my training. The race hurt...a lot! Personally more so than the marathon!, and theoretically I perhaps should have ran a quicker time (when comparing to my marathon time), but I was really happy with the result. It has highlighted what I need to work on and has allowed me to start developing a plan for the next half of this year. I'm convinced that focusing on my weaknesses, lingering where I feel uncomfortable will lead to maximising in my strengths! Onwards and upwards from here!

1st and 2nd after the race (thanks to NW Evening mail for the photo. Report can be found from the link below)








SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Pavement Pounding

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig